The 2019 Women’s March

Hannah Teets

More stories from Hannah Teets

Back to Article
Back to Article

The 2019 Women’s March

Women's March in Cleveland Ohio on Jan. 19

Despite the rocky weather, on Jan. 19, thousands of people all across the country gathered together in solidarity to protest for equal rights for women, as well as other pertinent issues that are prominent in today’s society. There was a main march located in Washington D.C., but many larger cities also participated in a smaller local march to show their support. It is estimated by Cleveland Police that approximately 750 people attended the march in downtown Cleveland around Public Square.

Organized by activist Kathy Wray Coleman, the Cleveland march included a diverse group of speakers that rallied together an hour before the official march commenced. There were even several public officials from Cleveland who spoke including Mayor Frank Jackson, state Senator Nickie Antonio, and state Representative Juanita Brent. “We need women of all types of ages, economics, races, and religions working together,” Brent said.

When the march started, people took the streets protesting and chanting, shedding light on many issues. People held up their homemade signs and banners displaying many different sayings and plays on words. The group eventually circled back to the Old Stone Church to hear more speakers. Meaningful words were spoken by Juanita Brent, Susan Bro, Nickie Antonio and more. Susan Bro, the mother of Heather Heyer, who was murdered during a counter-protest at a white supremacist rally in 2017, spoke about many important issues and the upcoming presidential election. “We have to reach out. We cannot take our knowledge, our experience, our understanding and hold it just within our own little group.”

About the Writer
Hannah Teets, Co-Editor

My name is Hannah Teets and I am a junior at Heights High. This is my first year writing for the school newspaper. I am also involved with National Honor...

• The 2019 Women’s March

News

Dashiki Day

• The 2019 Women’s March

News

Signing Day 2019

• The 2019 Women’s March

News

International Women’s Day

• The 2019 Women’s March

Courses at Heights High

OMEA Solo and Ensemble Contest

• The 2019 Women’s March

Courses at Heights High

Celebration of Chinese New Year at Heights High

By students, for students
The 2019 Women’s March