Students of Promise take on Chicago!

Heaven Hayes

More stories from Heaven Hayes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students of Promise take on Chicago!

Shown in picture (from left to right): Tatiyana Hughkeith (12), Khyra Brown (9), Naya Long (12), Heaven Hayes (12), Christian Green (11),  Erin Mims (Coordinator of SOP), Arius Merles (9), and Jeramy Perry (11)

Shown in picture (from left to right): Tatiyana Hughkeith (12), Khyra Brown (9), Naya Long (12), Heaven Hayes (12), Christian Green (11), Erin Mims (Coordinator of SOP), Arius Merles (9), and Jeramy Perry (11)

Students of Promise coordinator, Erin Mims, conducted a field trip to Chicago. She researched various attractions and museums in the city to make the trip perfect for the students. It was a lot of work done on her part to plan for this trip. Mims had a few issues with getting into contact with certain businesses, but she did not let that stop her or let any inconveniences get in the way of continuing her plan for the trip. Not only were Cleveland Heights SOP students attending the trip, but they also had the company of SOP students from Garfield, Warrensville Heights, and Brush. As the trip date approached, the students became even more excited. Many of the students who were chosen to go were already friends and for the ones who didn’t know each other became familiar with each other. The purpose of the trip, according to Mims, was to “Expose students to college life and experiences as well as cultural learning opportunities.”

The day they arrived, the students had lunch, went to the park, the DuSable Museum, and the Skydeck in Willis Tower. On the Skydeck, the students were 1,353 feet in the air and were able to step onto a clear glass platform where they could see the ground and outside. Tatiyana, a student that went on the trip, was scared of the Skydeck at first. Jeramy, another student, said “I was nervous at first but after I stepped out there it was great.” Mims wasn’t very scared because she doesn’t have a fear of heights. Many of the students that attended the trip had never been to Chicago before and they loved the experience they had. Out of all the meals they had on the trip, Mims and Jeramy said that the deep dish was their favorite. The African American Museum was everyone’s favorite part of the trip. Tatiyana said, “My favorite part was going to the museum and learning all of the things that happened to African Americans.” The students also enjoyed the college tours they went on because they were fun but also informative. Overall, the trip was amazing for the students and they all wanted to stay longer. The students enjoyed all of the activities they participated in along with the company of the SOP students from other schools. It was a great experience for the students, and it goes to show that even little things can have a big impact in people’s lives.