Lake Erie Ink

Emma Hubbard

More stories from Emma Hubbard

Lake Erie Ink is a writing space for youth that provides many cool programs for both kids and teens. It opened in 2010 and has been offering services and opportunities to the community of Cleveland Heights and surrounding areas ever since. It is a great place to go to learn new writing skills or execute old ones that haven’t been used in school for a while. There is something for everyone to enjoy!

Amy Rosenbluth, the co-founder of Lake Erie Ink, believes their programming is important because “We provide opportunities and resources for kids that aren’t always offered in schools or their communities,” She believes Lake Erie Ink helps kids create bigger communities, as they meet kids from other schools and learn how to communicate and be friends with them. Her favorite part of running the program is seeing how excited the participants get when they realize that they wrote something for fun, rather than for a grade. She also likes to see the teachers grow in their methods as they spend more time with the participants. For teens, some upcoming programs that Amy is excited about are teen open mics (the next one is 10/26!), college essay workshops, and the teen editor project; where teens submit writing or art to a board and have the chance to be published in a book. Along with the great programs offered to participate in, Lake Erie Ink also offers volunteer positions. There is a ton of space for volunteers at their after-school programs at the Coventry school and Noble.

Jaimari Cotrell, a junior at Heights, went to the after-school program while he was in elementary school. His favorite part was “…being able to have fun while doing things that aren’t so fun. They made even writing poems fun,” He says that it was important for his school experience because the staff was there to help him with homework and any questions he had. Jaimari made friends that he still sees and talks to at Heights today, who he didn’t go to school with at the time. He says that if he could, he would love to go back to Lake Erie Ink. For anyone with siblings in 3rd through 7th grade, Lake Erie Ink is a great place if they need somewhere to go after-school.

Ella Damaser, a senior at Heights, went to a college essay writing workshop. She thought it was helpful as it broke down the parts of the essay; the group and staff all brainstormed together and talked about each part. She says that she would do it again to keep up the essay writing process. Ella would recommend this workshop to other students because it helps to brainstorm and write a rough draft if you don’t want to or don’t feel motivated to do it on your own. She says the best part was working with other students who were struggling too, so she felt less alone in the process.

Lake Erie Ink has a wide range of programs for young kids to teenagers, and there are great staff members and fellow students there to make the experience as fun and helpful as possible.

About the Writer
Emma Hubbard, Editor-in-Chief

Emma Hubbard is a junior at Heights and this is her first year on the newspaper. She is excited to write about current and cultural events that can have...

• Lake Erie Ink

News

Celebrity Guest: Meet John Maucere!

• Lake Erie Ink

News

Veterans Day

• Lake Erie Ink

News

Election Day Recap

• Lake Erie Ink

News

The Homecoming Takeover!!!

• News

2018 Homecoming Parade

By students, for students
Lake Erie Ink