September – Suicide Prevention Month

More stories from Jeanne Jobson

Back to Article
Back to Article

September – Suicide Prevention Month

September is Suicide Prevention Month

September is Suicide Prevention Month

September is Suicide Prevention Month

September is Suicide Prevention Month

This month has been important in bringing awareness to mental health issues, one important week being suicide prevention week. The SAAD club helps students turn their destructive behavior into helping the community. The supervisor of SADD, Ms. Caryl Yoo, has many responsibilities. “I am the responsible adult that also ensures the safety of our students and guides them toward successful programming throughout the year.” She explained that Suicide Prevention Month is the entire month of October, but the members of SADD picked a week out of the month to highlight and bring awareness to suicide through announcements, a guest speaker, and different activities. Ms. Yoo had many new activities planned for the students throughout the entire week. “New activities we did this year was to have all students have the opportunity to make positive posters that we hung up on the front walls encouraging wellness and healthy decisions of getting help.” The SADD club also created a sticker that said “Never give up, you matter”. The stickers were handed out to students while greeted by SADD members as they walked in. The SAAD club also had access to a new resource that is an app called “A Friend Asks”. The app has many resources for students to get help for themselves, friends, and more. A card containing information about the app was also handed out to students as they got the sticker, along with uplifting music being played through the speakers.

LaToyia Jones, a motivational speaker, was invited to speak on behalf of the SADD club with the students after school. The SADD club also handed out candy and resources during lunch,  had announcements every day with facts about suicide, along with reminding students how to get the help they need.

Suicide prevention week is an important week because it educates students and gives them resources.”  Ms. Yoo said,“The purpose of suicide prevention week is to educate students with resources about suicide prevention for themselves and/or others that they may know are struggling.  The overarching purpose is to save lives and get people the help they need as quickly as possible. We tried to remind staff and students they are not alone and to please talk to a trusted adult if you or someone is struggling.”

Suicide Prevention Month is an important month because it brings a lot of awareness towards mental health, and it educates students on the importance of being kind towards others.

• September – Suicide Prevention Month

Student Life

Avid Tutors Helping Students of Heights High

• September – Suicide Prevention Month

Sports

Goal! Girls Soccer at Heights

• September – Suicide Prevention Month

News

Celebrity Guest: Meet John Maucere!

• September – Suicide Prevention Month

Student Life

The MSAN Mission

• September – Suicide Prevention Month

News

Veterans Day

By students, for students
September – Suicide Prevention Month