Enough! Heights Students Walk Out of School to Protest Gun Violence.

Abra Lisowski

More stories from Abra Lisowski

On March 14, Cleveland Heights High School students walked out of class in protest of gun violence. In the wake of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida in which 17 people were killed, schools nationwide have been holding walkouts to demand action. Over 700 Heights High students walked out of school, braving below freezing weather to take action. The walkout honored the 17 students killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School with students reading the victims’ names and accomplishments out loud. Heights middle schoolers also participated, with more than 200 students walking out of the building in solidarity.

Lily Waugh is a sophomore at Cleveland Heights High School who attended the walkout on Wednesday. She says she wants to stricter gun regulations come out of these protests. “Having kids getting shot in schools is unacceptable when there could be laws to help prevent that,” she said. Ava Collyer is also a sophomore at Heights. She attended the walkout because “It’s an issue that directly affects us, and we deserve to have our voices heard.” Collyer said she also hopes that stricter gun legislation will come out of these protests.

Many speakers attended the event. One speaker, sophomore Asa Schaller, read a poem they wrote in the aftermath of the Parkland shooting, in honor of the 17 victims. Schaller said that one thing that separated Parkland from other shootings is the students. Students across the nation have been stepping up and organizing in protest of gun violence, and taking a stand when their elected officials will not. “People are tired and afraid of potentially being the next target,” they said. Students’ frustrations with the divisiveness of the gun control debate are best summed up with a line from Schaller’s poem: “…America is obsessed with their gun love and bullet hugs… Praying tragedy away but prayers don’t save the day. Action does.”

About the Writer
Abra Lisowski, Co-Editor

Abra Lisowski is a Junior at Cleveland Heights High School this year. She has participated in the school newspaper for three years. During her free time,...

By students, for students