Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Matthew Cox

More stories from Matthew Cox

Black and white photo of Martin Luther King in profile, facing right, 1960.

Library of Congress

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is arguably one of the greatest civil rights movement figureheads. He participated in all kinds of protests that could have cost him his life. With the passing of his birthday this year this is our chance to look back on all that he’s done and ask today’s youth if they understand fully what he did for everyone. From his participation in sit-ins to the famous Selma march, this is Martin Luther King Jr.

Dr. King’s birthday, January 15, has passed us again and he would have been 89 years old. Unfortunately, he was taken from this world when he was 39. Many learned about him stemming from his incredibly famous “I have a dream” speech which called for African-American men and women to be treated fairly and to be seen as equals to the white citizens of America.

But would he be happy with how things have been going in recent years?

He would have been tremendously happy to see the election of the 44th president of the United States of America, Barack Obama as he was biracial (although most saw him as African-American).

Recently, police brutality has been steadily rising and we’ve seen the dawn of the Black Lives Matter Movement. Matej Bartulovic, when asked if King’s vision had gone as he wanted it, explains, “In some ways, yes, and some ways no; I can guarantee he wouldn’t like the guy in office and he definitely wouldn’t like the police brutality.” Dr. King fought for rights for everyone; but, more importantly, the black Americans of the community.

Lawrence Amerson, a senior explained his favorite thing about Martin Luther was “He could see through the dark and saw all the good he could do.”

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. will always be remembered for all he did.

About the Writer
Matthew Cox, Journalist

Matthew is a senior at Cleveland Heights High School. His favorite subject is English. After graduation, he plans to attend Tri-C and work a part-time...

• Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

News

Celebrity Guest: Meet John Maucere!

• Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

News

Veterans Day

• Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

News

Election Day Recap

• Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

News

The Homecoming Takeover!!!

• News

2018 Homecoming Parade

By students, for students
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day